After I got the chat and game output to work on my SteelSeries Arctis 5 on Ubuntu, I tried sending a patch to the PulseAudio maintainers to include it in the distribution by default.
PulseAudio maintainer Tanu Kaskinen pointed out to me that I had to use two separate (custom) output paths. Fixing this caused the outputs to be selected more easily in sound configuration dashboards. For example in the gnome sound configuration screen:
steelseries-arctis-5-output-* aren't pretty, but to change that, pulseaudio would need to be recompiled.
I played around with the profile configuration and configured which elements belong to which output. The game output is linked to the
PCM element and the chat output is linked to the
Com Speaker element. After configuring this correctly I noticed that the chat output volume slider now goes a lot louder than before and they don't interfere with each other.
Some welcome improvements! I've immediately released an updated version of my distributed version:
Download the updated version for debian, ubuntu and linux mint: